Orientation is also known as an induction is the process that introduces inexperienced and new employees to the organization. Giving training and additional assistance during the start period of employment is really very much important irrespective of the age of the employee. This is because they are not much familiar with the organization and its norms. During this time, each of the workers generates the skills, knowledge, and abilities that required to work in a healthy and safer manner.
Employee orientation is one of the significant parts of the on-boarding process. It involves introducing the employee to the company, its policies, atmosphere, etc. Orientation is a very important step as it helps in making the employee familiar with the organization. This is the reason behind the maintenance of an employee orientation checklist by the companies.
The training shall always be given to the employees when they have recently transferred to the job or to the work areas they are not familiar with. This is where employee orientation checklist is of so much importance.
An employee orientation checklist is a list of requirements of the company and the information they want to transfer to the new employees as well as all the activities that are to be carried out in the orientation session.
An employee orientation checklist provides you with the detailed chart that tells the areas to be covered, the description and whether the orientation has been completed or not. This helps you in the management of the orientation in the best way possible.
You get to write down all the areas that are to be covered and then write the description after each of the area so that you know what the employee has to learn and then you can tick YES or NO in the completed column so that you get to know what areas are covered until now and what is left to be covered.
It is useful for the managers to have step-by-step guidelines for making the orientation process easy and smooth.
This checklist basically covers all aspects of needs and requirements of a new hire on his first day as well as for the coming days in the organization.
Maintaining and using an employee orientation checklist has several benefits. Some of those are:
- Orientation gives the first impression of the company and ensuring through this checklist that the right information has been passed on to the employees would help in giving a good impression.
- The checklist helps in ensuring that nothing important has been missed out.
- It proves to be a guide for the managers.
- It helps in answering all the questions of new employees and cater to the needs of the required information.
- It helps in making the employee comfortable and familiar with the organization.
The number of benefits the checklist provides urges the companies to maintain it and use it for the orientation process. Different companies have different policies regarding when and how often orientation should be provided.
For instance, some companies may have an orientation session on the first day while others keep on providing such sessions for at least six months to the newly hired employee.
When an orientation has to be provided in the beginning, usually, following points in the checklist are maintained:
- Introduction of the company.
- Review of company policies.
- Review of company safety rules.
- Required compliance with laws and regulations.
- Provide Employee handbook.
- Explain the tracking of worked hours and payment structure.
- Review of company culture and atmosphere and how work is done including team-work, motivation and reward policies, etc.
- Introduce to the supervisor/manager/mentor and other employees.
- Provide any required training.
- Requirements for emergency situations.
- Question and answer session.
- Tour of the office.
Employee orientation checklist is a very useful tool for making sure every required task of orientation has been carried out and managers can even check the tasks as they are being done during the session.
Download your file below.
Employee Orientation Checklist
File Size: 47 KB